"Skin first, makeup second" is the tagline for Glossier products. Glossier is a makeup and skincare brand that blossomed from the beauty blog, Into The Gloss. The products boast that they mimic skin and give you a subtle, but gorgeous glow. After months of lurking product reviews, I finally purchased some goodies. I tend to grade products on packaging, ease of use, performance, and longevity.
Stretch Concealer - Deep, $18
I am a concealer addict. I have hereditary dark circles under my eyes and am always trying to find a concealer that hides them but doesn't crease or make me look too cakey. In comes, the stretch concealer, using a mixture of nourishing oils and waxes they have created a formula that truly melts into the skin and still has the natural sheen that clean, moisturized skin has.
- Packaging 3/5 : Are we really still using pots for concealer? It's not sanitary and becomes a nuisance halfway through. I wish this was a squeeze tube.
- Ease of use 5/5: The product is super creamy and very easy to build. The perfect formula for a beginner to makeup.
- Performance 5/5: I like the minimal coverage this gives and when I want a little more, I apply two layers. It makes it so you don't look cakey or dry under the eye.
- Longevity 3/5: This isn't marketed as a long wearing product, so I didn't grade it as such. But I think the fact it doesn't last all day is a problem if you were trying to do a glam look. This is definitely just for everyday makeup.
1. Octyldodecanol- a long chain fatty acid that helps make products more emollient.
Benefit? Helps prevent the formula from separating on the skin
2. Thebroma Cacao- Cocoa Butter
Benefit? Loaded with antioxidants that help fight the free radicals in your body
3. Persea Gratissma Oil- Avocado oil
Benefits? Protection from damaging UV rays and helps with an increase in collagen #nolinesnowrinkles
4. Jojoba Esters- Jojoba Oil
Benefits? Provides long lasting hydration
5. Triethoxycaprylsilane- binding agent
Benefit? Helps pigment spread evenly
Final Grade: 80% - B
Would I purchase again? Yes
Wowder Duo - Dark/Deep $35
We all know the trials and tribulations of finding a good powder. Will it make me look ghostly? Will it have a flashback when I take photos? Insert Wowder. I have finally found a powder that DOESN'T flashback. This powder blurs out imperfections on the skin, but the best part is that it doesn't settle into the lines on your face.
- Packaging 3/5: I love that the powder isn't messy, but the net makes it difficult to see how much product you are using.
- Ease of use 5/5: The product blends into the skin like a dream. It creates an instant "filtered" effect that is nearly undetectable.
- Performance 5/5: IT DOES NOT FLASHBACK PEOPLE. It also gives a matte look but doesn't look dry. I guess you could say it more of a velvet finish.
- Longevity 4/5: I am very oily. I did need to touch up towards the end of the day, but for the color to match my skin and no flashback, I didn't mind.
1. Kaolin- clay mineral
Benefit? Absorbs oil to help prevent shine
2. Polymethylsilsesquioxane- Silicone
Benefit? With molecules too large to penetrate skin, it lays on top it helping create a silky finish, as well as, aids in repelling water
Final Grade: 85% B
Would I purchase again? Yes, but the brush is skippable.
Haloscope - Topaz $22
Am I the only one that has had the hardest time finding a highlighter that doesn't have pieces of glitter in it? Whether the glitter is fine or chunky, it's always there. I've been on the hunt for something with just sheen. You know, the off duty model glow. After countless Instagram ads showcasing the wonder that is haloscope I decided to give it a try.
- Packaging 5/5: It's funny because in other reviews, users didn't like the stick application, but I love it. It makes the application super easy. Just a few swipes and then blend it in with your finger and you're out the door.
- Ease of use 5/5: The stick formula makes it a dream to apply and since the product is so creamy it glides with ease.
- Performance 4/5: I love that it gives me a dewy, glow. I've taken off a point for the usage of tocopheryl acetate which may cause skin irritation for some, so far I've had no signs of irritation
- Longevity 5/5: It doesn't slide around on my face throughout the day which is a major plus.
Final Grade: 95% A
1. Ricinus Communis and Cocos Nucifera- Castor Oil and Coconut Oil
Benefit? Both oils help with the absorption of other products and help keep the area moisturized
2. Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis- Sweet Almond Oil
Benefit? Helps fight breakouts and creates a glow to the skin when absorbed
3. Tocopheryl Acetate- Man-made Vitamin E
Benefits?None. It can actually cause irritation because of the acetic acid added to the Vitamin E.
Would I repurchase? Maybe, if I don't have sensitivity then yes.
Boy Brow - Brown $16
I try my hardest to not have price have an impact on my review because everyone's wallet is different, but this isn't worth it for the price, in my opinion. You are receiving 0.11 ounces of produce for $16. This isn't a pomade or a pencil, just a brow gel with tint. It does what it's supposed to do, but you can find something to out perform this for less coins.
- Packaging 0/5: Tiny.
- Ease of use 5/5: The smaller brush made it is easy to not over do it with the product.
- Performance 4/5: It needs just a little bit more pigment, you must have full brows for this to have any impact on the color of your brows.
- Longevity 5/5: Kept my brows in place all day long, perfect for work.
Benefit? Helps keep hair in place without making the stiff
Atelocollagen- Hydrating agent
Benefit? Helps condition and strengthen the hair
Final Grade: 70% C
Would I repurchase? No.